Ever wonder what sets the extraordinary leaders apart from the rest of the pack? Well, here's a hint—it's something you do every day.
But it's not just about the words you say; it's about how you say them.
You see, in my line of work as an executive coach, I've had the privilege of working with some extraordinary leaders. And one thing that consistently separates the great from the exceptional is their ability to communicate with impact.
Communicating effectively - this skill is your golden ticket to achieving remarkable results.
Why Effective Communication Matters for Leaders
Studies galore have shown that effective communication is the secret sauce of leadership success. It's not just about talking the talk, but walking the walk and bringing your team along with you.
Here's the scoop from the research:
1. Boosted Productivity: A study by the Project Management Institute (PMI) revealed that leaders who ace the communication game have teams that crank out 50% more work. Yep, you read that right.
2. Speedier Decision-Making: Effective communicators make decisions at warp speed. A research paper in the Journal of Applied Psychology found that leaders with stellar communication skills make decisions 50% faster. Time is money, after all.
3. Happy, Engaged Folks: Gallup, the folks behind those engagement surveys, found that organizations with engaged employees outshine their competitors by a whopping 147%. And guess what fuels employee engagement? You got it—communication.
Tips to Level Up Your Communication Game
Alright, let's get practical. How can you become a communication maestro? Here are a few strategies that my clients excel at:
1. Listen Up: Ever heard the saying, "God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason"? Well, there's some truth to it. Active listening is your secret weapon. Show genuine interest, ask open-ended questions, and practice empathy. It's not just about hearing; it's about truly understanding.
2. Keep It Simple: Remember Einstein's words, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"? It's golden advice. Complexity breeds confusion. So, keep your messages clear, concise, and free from jargon.
3. Your Body Talks: Believe it or not, your non-verbal cues speak volumes. UCLA researchers found that up to 93% of communication is non-verbal. Pay attention to your body language, gestures, and that expressive face of yours.
4. Feedback is Your Friend: Create an environment where feedback flows like a river. Constructive feedback helps you grow. A study by Zenger/Folkman showed that leaders who seek feedback are rated more effective by their teams.
Putting It into Action
The magic of effective communication lies in practice. This week, pick one strategy to focus on. Maybe it's active listening or simplifying your message. Small steps lead to big leaps.
Remember, leadership begins with a conversation. Elevate your skills, and watch your influence and impact soar.
To your success,
Polly Meyer Executive Coaching
I partner with Training & Development Specialists to bring educational and Impactful training and workshop experiences to their leadership teams. Schedule a Discovery Call by clicking this link.