Hey, it happens to the best of us. Sure, we want to make a good impression, but we hate small talk so it gets awkward fast. Alas, here are 10 Killer Conversation Icebreakers to get - and keep - the conversation going.
1. What are you working on that you're passionate about?
2. I'm looking for a good non-fiction to read. What do you recommend?
3. Where would you like to retire? Why this place?
4. What is the most exciting thing you've ever done?
5. What is something you would like to learn to do?
6. What is the most unpleasant job you ever had to do?
7. If you could invite 3 people (living or dead) to your home for dinner, who would they be, and why?
8. What lesson did you have to learn the hard way?
9. Who has been the greatest influence in your life?
10. If your closest friend wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?
I love these questions, because small talk turns into BIG talk, fast! What are your favorite conversation icebreakers? I'd LOVE to add them to my list!
I mean, we’ve all heard the term, shameless self promotion. But where did we learn that self promotion is bad..?
If the work we put out into the world brings us joy, or confidence, or pride, why should we feel shame over it?
I think its because most of us aren’t the greatest at self-promotion, and selling ourselves can feel like we’re bragging, or worse, awkward.
I think this is crazy!
In fact, I have a different point of view on this topic.
My belief is that we were all born with gifts that are meant to serve this world. And if you don’t toot your own horn and self promote your gifts, then you are holding back valuable resources from those who need you most.
Once you untangle those feelings of shame from the expression of your unique gifts, then you can better serve the world.
And trust me, we need your gifts.